Max tables in a cluster?

От Karthik Krishnakumar
Тема Max tables in a cluster?
Дата
Re: Max tables in a cluster?  (hubert depesz lubaczewski <depesz@depesz.com>)
Список pgsql-admin
Hi admins,

Is there a limit to number of tables that a cluster can support?
At the moment, one of my clusters has about 250k user tables (plus 150k toast tables) across a hundred schemas within a single database.
My application team wants to double the number of schemas (and with it the tables)
I am looking for both pros and cons of doing this and what tuning can help this cluster perform acceptably.

My questions are
1. Is there a limit to number of tables a cluster can support effectively?
2. My guess is autovacuum would have to be tuned. Current gucs for this are
max_autovacuum_workers = 6
maintenance_work_mem = 1GB
autovacuum_vacuum_scale_factor = 0.2
autovacuum_vacuum_cost_delay = 20ms

Are there any potential problems that I need to think about ?

My machine specs are as below.
RAM 256GB
32-core CPU
7TB SSD