Re: A way to optimize sql about the last temporary-related row

От Richard Welty
Тема Re: A way to optimize sql about the last temporary-related row
Дата
Список pgsql-general
not really in direct response to this conversation, but is there any reason
on the face of the planet why read receipts need to be sent to every single
recipient of the mailing list?

just saying,
  richard

---- On Fri, 28 Jun 2024 03:20:26 -0400 <agharta82@gmail.com> wrote ---

HOO-HA! This is HUGE!

Only 2.2 seconds on my data!!!! Amazing!

distinct on (field) followed by "*" is a hidden gem!

Thank you so much and thanks to everyone who helped me!  Thank you very much!!

Cheers,

Agharta

Il 27/06/24 6:16 PM, David Rowley ha scritto:

On Fri, 28 Jun 2024, 3:20 am agharta82@gmail.com, <agharta82@gmail.com> wrote:

Now the query:
explain (verbose, buffers, analyze)
with last_table_ids as materialized(
   select xx from (
   select LAST_VALUE(pk_id) over (partition by integer_field_2 order by
datetime_field_1 RANGE BETWEEN UNBOUNDED PRECEDING AND UNBOUNDED
FOLLOWING) xx
   from test_table
   where integer_field_1 = 1
   and datetime_field_1 <= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP
   ) ww group by ww.xx

),
last_row_per_ids as (
   select tt.* from last_table_ids lt
   inner join test_table tt on (tt.pk_id = lt.xx)

)

select * /* or count(*) */ from last_row_per_ids;

This query, on my PC, takes 46 seconds!!!

(Away from laptop and using my phone)

Something like:

select distinct on (integer_field_2) * from test_table where integer_field_1 = 1 and datetime_field_1 <= CURRENT_TIMESTAMP order by integer_field_2,datetime_field_1 desc;

Might run a bit faster.  However if it's slow due to I/O then maybe not much faster.  Your version took about 5 seconds on my phone and my version ran in 1.5 seconds.

It's difficult for me to check the results match with each query from my phone. A quick scan of the first 10 or so records looked good.

If the updated query is still too slow on cold cache then faster disks might be needed.

David

От: "agharta82@gmail.com"
Сообщение: Re: A way to optimize sql about the last temporary-related row
От: agharta agharta
Сообщение: Re: A way to optimize sql about the last temporary-related row