Re: [GENERAL] order by

От dave madden
Тема Re: [GENERAL] order by
Дата
Список pgsql-general
 =>From: Kaj-Michael Lang <milang@tal.org>
 =>...
 =>I have stored IP's in a table using a varchar(15) field. My problem is how
 =>to make the order by list the IP's the correct order like:
 =>
 =>192.168.1.1
 =>192.168.1.6
 =>192.168.1.10
 =>
 =>now it sorts them like:
 =>
 =>192.168.1.1
 =>192.168.1.10
 =>192.168.1.6
 =>
 =>is it possible to get them sorted the right way ?

There may be a special function (or you could write one) to sort
numbers which are represented as varchars, but a better solution would
be to re-store the IP numbers as integers.  This will also allow you
to work on them with netmasks and so forth.  Convert them back to
A.B.C.D when you print them out.

d.