Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres

От Rudy Gireyev
Тема Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-general
It appears to the untrained eye, that you guys may be comparing apples to
oranges and therefore are both correct, in a way. It seems like most of Chris's
usage of disks comes in a desktop environment while most of the Dustin's
usage comes from the heavily loaded servers.

In a desktop environment where the biggest bottleneck is a human operator
and the disks most of the time sit around waiting for something to do Chris is
correct in saying that the performance difference between IDE and SCSI is
not that enormous. It is there, it simply may not be worth the extra trouble and
expense.

However, when you start, talking about a medium to heavy loaded server then
the SCSI reliability, expandability and speed are a real advantage. In fact I
would be willing to go so far as to say SCSI is the only way to go if you are
planning to build a medium to heavy loaded server.

I also hope this answers the question of the original poster, which sort of got
lost here somewhere. :-)

Rudy

От: Chris Bitmead
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres
От: Artur Pietruk
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] advice on buying sun hardware to run postgres