Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)

От Michael Robinson
Тема Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Oleg Broytmann <phd@emerald.netskate.ru> writes:
>   I know exactly 1 (one) program that incorporate (embed) Perl interpreter
>- - it is editor VIM (well-known vi-clone from www.vim.org). I think anyone
>who want to learn how to embed perl may start looking int vim sources.

Also now GIMP.

>   Yes, I am biased toward Python, but I cannot say "I recommend embed
>Python to construct PL/Python" - I have no time to lead the development,
>and I doubt there are many pythoners here (D'Arcy?).

I went down that road a little ways to see what it looked like, and decided
that was the wrong road to take.

The reason people want an embedded procedural language is because procedures
in such a language have access to the guts of the backend, and can perform
many operations much more efficiently than having to go push everything
through the FE->SQL->compiler->executor->tuple list->FE->lather->rinse->repeat
bottleneck.

I decided that the proper solution was to expose all the internal guts of
the backend through a proper CORBA interface.  That way, any language with
an ORB could act as an embedded procedural language.

Currently, I'm working on imbedding ORBit into Python to get my skills up
to speed.  When that's accomplished, I intend to tackle PostgreSQL.  For
a proof of concept, you can look at mod_corba (ORBit embedded in Apache,
exposing the Apache API).
-Michael Robinson

От: Bernard Frankpitt
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] Priorities for 6.6
От: Philip Warner
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] PL/Lang (was: Priorities for 6.6)