Returning sets from functions?

От mig@utdt.edu
Тема Returning sets from functions?
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Consider   create function followers(text) returns setof text as          'select id from ids where id > $1 '
language'sql';

The function seems to work OK:   select followers('h');
does return all indexes after the index 'h'.

On the other hand,   select * from ids where id in (select followers('h'));
produces the message ERROR:  An operand to the '=' operator returns a set of text,       but '=' takes single values,
notsets.

Apparently the phrase   select followers('h');
returns a set with members which are 'setof text'. psql has no trouble
displaying all rows, but the parser does ...

So, my question is: can I produce a set in a function so that it
mimicks perfectly the return set of a select query?

I am using PG 6.5.3; is this already solved in the 7.0 beta?

Thanks

Miguel Sofer