Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))

От Matthias Urlichs
Тема Re: Performance (was: The New Slashdot Setup (includes MySql server))
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Bruce Momjian:

> > > 2. atomic_updates = no
> > That's a misnomer. They actually mean this:
> >
> >     create table crash_q (a integer not null);
> >     create unique index crf on crash_q(a);
> >
> >     insert into crash_q values (2);
> >     insert into crash_q values (3);
> >     insert into crash_q values (1);
> >     update crash_q set a=a+1;
>
> Poorly named, huh?  How do you think it got such a name?  This item was
> on the crashme tests before TRANSACTION was on there?

It probably got that name because nobody thought about people
associating atomicity with transactions.

Anyway, the issue isn't all that exotic. ms-sql, mimer, db2, solid and
sybase are listed as supporting this kind of update.

If you can think of an understandable five-word-or-so description for
it, I'll happily rename the test. I've been thinking about it for the
last ten minutes or so, but couldn't come up with one. :-/

A different question is whether the database bungles the update when the
first few row can be updated and THEN you run into a conflict.

PostgreSQL handles this case correctly, MySQL doesn't => I'll add a
test for it.

--
Matthias Urlichs  |  noris network GmbH   |   smurf@noris.de  |  ICQ: 20193661
The quote was selected randomly. Really.       |        http://smurf.noris.de/

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Re: Heaps of read() syscalls by the postmaster
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: MySQL crashme test and PostgreSQL