Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?

От Joe Brenner
Тема Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?
Дата
Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?  (Patrick Welche <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>)
Список pgsql-hackers
The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2000, Jan Wieck wrote:
>
> > The Hermit Hacker wrote:
> > >
> > > what's wrong wth "Post-Gres-QL"?
> > >
> > > I find it soooo simple to pronounce *shrug*
> >
> >     Mee  too.  And I'm not sure if anybody pronounces PG the same
> >     way.  Is it PeeGee or PiG (in which case we'd have the  wrong
> >     animal in our logo).
>
> Actually, the one that gets me is those that refer to it as Postgres
> ... postgres was a project out of Berkeley way back in the 80's, early
> 90's ... hell, it was based on a PostQuel language ... this ain't
> postgres, its only based on it :(

Personally, I say P-G-Sequel or Post-Grease-S-Q-L.

And I have to say that "postgresql" has one of the worst
names of any software I've ever encountered.  I'm entirely
in sympathy with the "suit" who suggested calling it "PG".

I would go further and say that in the near future when some
milestone is reached (say, the addition of outer joins?) it
might be a good idea to mark the occasion with a name change
of some sort.

I cringe at the thought of the hassles involved with
choosing a new name though.

Openbase?  Freebase?  ACIDtrip?

I think I like "Grease".

От: Don Baccus
Сообщение: Re: Bug tracking (was Re: +/- Inf for float8's)
От: The Hermit Hacker
Сообщение: Re: How Do You Pronounce "PostgreSQL"?