Re: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language names

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language names
Дата
Re: Coping with 'C' vs 'newC' function language names  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane wrote:

> More to the point, I think we have to assume old-style interface if we
> see ... LANGUAGE 'C' with no other decoration, because any other
> assumption is guaranteed to break all existing user-defined functions.
   Just  successfully  loading  an  old-style C function doesn't   guarantee that it works anyway. I pointed out before
thatthe   changes  due  to  TOAST  require  each  function  that  takes   arguments of varlen types to  expect  toasted
values.  Worst   case a dump might reload and anything works fine, but a month   later the first toasted value appears
and the  old-style  C   function corrupts the data without a single warning.

   We need to WARN, WARN and explicitly WARN users of selfmade C   functions about this in any possible place!

Jan

От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: Unhappy thoughts about pg_dump and objects inherited from template1
От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: Varchar standard compliance