Re: maybe Offtopic : PostgreSQL & PHP ?

От Roberto Mello
Тема Re: maybe Offtopic : PostgreSQL & PHP ?
Дата
Re: maybe Offtopic : PostgreSQL & PHP ?  (Mathijs Brands <mathijs@ilse.nl>)
Список pgsql-sql
On Wed, Apr 18, 2001 at 04:44:36PM +0200, Mathijs Brands wrote:
> I've written several applications with Apache/PHP. At first I was using
> persistant connections, but I was soon forced to revert to normal db
> connects. The problem is the number of connections opened. If you have
> 50 Apache processes and 5 different databases, it is highly likely that
> you will end up (if you leave your application running long enough) with
> 250 persistant db links; not something pgsql really likes, unless you
> configure it to correctly handle large numbers of db links. Apache/PHP
> doesn't provide you with some way to pool connections :(
Ah, I see the problem. When you mentioned there were problems I
thought you were talking about the connections themselves. I am using PHP 4 under AOLserver/OpenNSD, which has been
fully
threaded from scratch (1994) so I hope this won't be much of an issue (but
then PHP 4 still has threading problems AFAIK). Not using persistant connections is just too slow for me. It's
instantaneous for AOLserver to generate a page, when the same page with the
connection overhead in PHP takes A LOT longer.
-Roberto
--
+----| http://fslc.usu.edu USU Free Software & GNU/Linux Club |------+ Roberto Mello - Computer Science, USU -
http://www.brasileiro.net      http://www.sdl.usu.edu - Space Dynamics Lab, Developer

Tetris tagline: @@  o@o  oooo  @oo  oo@

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: "Richard Huxton"
Сообщение: Re: Subqueries in select clause
От: "Josh Berkus"
Сообщение: Re: maybe Offtopic : PostgreSQL & PHP ?