Re: single quotes in a select statement

От will trillich
Тема Re: single quotes in a select statement
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Fri, May 11, 2001 at 11:27:16AM -0400, Joseph wrote:
> Is it possible to have one field
> like the following
>
> 'some text' || case when t='1' then '1' else '2' end
>
> I don't know how to differentiate the different quotes.

double quotes are to "glue together" attributes that would
otherwise seem to be separate tokens:

    create table "my table here" (
        "some field" varchar(20),
        "yet another" serial,
        "the last one" float8
    );

single quotes delineate string values:

    select 'here: '
            || "some field"
            || ' plus also '
            || string("yet another"/"the last one")
        from "my table here";

also note that uppercase/lowercase are significant on "quoted"
attributes, but on unquoted ones everything winds up as lowercase:

    > create table mytable ("myField" varchar(10));
    CREATE
    > insert into MYTABLE(myField)values('one');
    ERROR:  Relation 'mytable' does not have attribute 'myfield'
    > insert into MYTABLE("myField")values('one');
    INSERT 1063721 1

> Can I use double quotes or some other kind of quotes inside my case
> statement?

parentheses often work wonders. but the only quotes for strings
(that i'm aware of) are 'single quotes'.

to include a single quote inside a string, try

    'it''s maybe like this'
    'we\'re not always right'

--
don't visit this page. it's bad for you. take my expert word for it.
http://www.salon.com/people/col/pagl/2001/03/21/spring/index1.html

will@serensoft.com

От: will trillich
Сообщение: Re: Synonym
От: Ed Loehr
Сообщение: Re: microsecond log timestamps