Re: Re: Debian's PostgreSQL packages

От Oliver Elphick
Тема Re: Re: Debian's PostgreSQL packages
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Bruce Momjian wrote:
  >> > I think our current idea is to have people run local ident servers to
  >> > handle this.  We don't have any OS-specific stuff in pg_hba.conf and I
  >> > am not sure if we want to add that complexity.  What do others think?
  >>
  >> This is not any less "specific" than SSL or Kerberos.  Note that opening a
  >> TCP/IP socket already opens a theoretical hole to the world.  Unix domain
  >> is much safer.
  >
  >You can install SSL/Kerberos on any Unix, and many come pre-installed.
  >You can't add unix-domain socket user authentication to any OS.
  >
  >I assume most OS's have 127.0.0.1 set as loopback so there shouldn't be
  >a hole:
  >
  >127                       127.0.0.1                UGRS    4352 lo0
  >127.0.0.1                 127.0.0.1                UH      4352 lo0
  >
  >However, the security issue may make it worthwhile.  Which OS's support
  >user authentication again, and can we test via configure?  Maybe we can
  >strip out the mention in the pg_hba.conf file if it is not supported on
  >that OS.

The security issue is why I developed it.  There were complaints from people
who did not want to have identd running at all.

I think the feature is available in Linux, Solaris and some BSD.  It can be
tested for by whether SO_PEERCRED is defined in sys/socket.h.

I don't see the need to strip mention from the comments in pg_hba.conf.  The
situation is no different from those systems which do not have Kerberos or
SSL available.

     "I waited patiently for the LORD; and he inclined unto
      me, and heard my cry. He brought me up also out of an
      horrible pit, out of the miry clay, and set my feet
      upon a rock, and established my goings. And he hath
      put a new song in my mouth, even praise unto our God.
      Many shall see it, and fear, and shall trust in the
      LORD."                 Psalms 40:1-3

От: GH
Сообщение: Re: problem with postgres users
От: John Clark Naldoza y Lopez
Сообщение: Re: A small question about Red Hat