Re: ERROR: value too long for type character varying(255)

От Jan Wieck
Тема Re: ERROR: value too long for type character varying(255)
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Tue, 21 May 2002 12:17:38 -0400
> "Doug Fields" <dfields-pg-general@pexicom.com> wrote:
> > In PG 7.1.3, ISTR I used to be able to submit any length I wished for a
> > VARCHAR (and maybe a CHAR).
> >
> > Now, I'm at 7.2.1 and get these errors:
> >
> > ERROR:  value too long for type character varying(255)
> >
> > as JDBC Exceptions.
> >
> > Do you know how I can tell it to "silently truncate" the data as I believe
> > it used to?
>
> Is there a reason you can't just use TEXT? It will be stored the same
> internally...
>
> But the most obvious way I can think of to do what you're asking is
> to define a rule to replace the value inserted with a call to
> substring().

    And  exactly  that will fail because the rewritten query will
    be of the same operation type on the same  table,  triggering
    the same rule again ...

    The way I see is to use TEXT or VARCHAR without a size limit,
    and defining a custom BEFORE trigger that truncates  the  NEW
    value.

Jan

От: Victor Manuel Torres Aguirre
Сообщение: PostgreSQL+Access97+Linux: How to..
От: Jeff Beck
Сообщение: psql -l gives bad output