GOODS - a sensational public domain database backend that deserves a SQL frontend

От Robert Schrem
Тема GOODS - a sensational public domain database backend that deserves a SQL frontend
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Some of you might already know GOODS, programmed
almost entirely by Konstantin Knizhnik  - if not you should
really have a look at it right now (be warned: consuming this
extraordinary work might change your levels about the
required quality of a 'good programmer' forever.  At least
this happend to me... ;):
http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/goods.html

Some core features of this backend (as they come to my mind):
-> full ACID transaction support
-> distributed stoarge management (->distributed transactions)
-> multible reader/single writer (is this called MVCC within PostgreSQL?)
-> dual client side object cache
-> online backup (snapshot backup AND permanent backup)
-> nested transactions on object level
-> transaction isolation levels on object level
-> object level shared and exclusive locks
-> excellent C++ programming interface
-> WAL
-> garbage collection for no longer reference database objects
-> fully thread safe client interface
-> JAVA client API
-> very high performance as a result of a lot of fine tuning
-> asyncrous event notification on object instance modification
-> extremly high code quality
-> a one person effort, hence a very clean design
-> the most relevant platforms are supported out of the box
-> complete build is done in less than a minute on my machine
-> it's documented

The licensing of this coding wonder: >>> PUBLIC DOMAIN <<<

I'm  using GOODS quiet a while now in the context of my
development activities for a native XML database and have
very promissing experiences concerning performance and
stability of GOODS.  E.g.: The performance seems to be
better than sleepycat's berkeley db library - especially
with mutliple simultanous transactions...

Maybe the only restriction to use this backend in postgres
from now on: it's completely C++ ...

I'm wondering why there is no SQL frontend yet for this
execellent backend...

You may want to look also at a comparision chart of some
other backends than GOODS (some of them from the same
author!!! I'm wondering how he was able to code all this...):
http://www.garret.ru/~knizhnik/compare.html

kind regards,

Robert

От: Robert Schrem
Сообщение: Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports - the 'BEST OPEN SOURCE database backend'
От: Jason Tishler
Сообщение: Re: HEADS UP: Win32/OS2/BeOS native ports