Re: Object Oriented Representation in PostgreSQL

От Jeff Davis
Тема Re: Object Oriented Representation in PostgreSQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
First off, it appears you want a built in type. That would allow you to:

a) store data in the form you'd like it
b) perform operations on that data as you'd like

Those are the two things you need to be able to do in order to have an
"object".

So, let's take you're example of an address that contains 3 text attributes:
address_one
address_two
zip_code

I'll assume from this point that you'd like to be able to do only the basic
operations: set the value and retrieve the value.

Let's say you'd like to use the following form (this won't work yet, I am
just writing out our *goal* for functionality):
create table my_table(
  my_col my_object
);
INSERT INTO my_table (my_col) values('{"123 first st","456 second
st","99999"}');
and then if you do SELECT * FROM my_table;
you get:
    my_col
-------------------------
123 first st
456 second st
99999

Now, how do we make that work?

We really just need to define the input/output functions (creating functions
is a seperate topic, so consult the docs and ask a seperate question if
you're having trouble with that), and then create the type:

Let's say you have an input function named "my_object_input" that processes
and input of the form '{"123 first st","456 second st","99999"}' (like in my
example) and then stores it in more sensible format (i.e. break it up and
store as seperate strings).

Also, you need an output function that takes the internally stored data and
presents it. Call it my_object_output. Then create the type by:

CREATE TYPE my_object (
INPUT = my_object_input,
OUTPUT = my_object_output,
INTERNALLENGTH = VARIABLE
);

I hope this sets you on the right track. Consult the documentation and try a
few things out, and then email me if you have any more questions. Please
include specific queries that you've tried, and show me your point of
difficulty.

Regards,
    Jeff

От: frbn
Сообщение: Re: URGENT: Performance tuning
От: "Markus Wollny"
Сообщение: Urgent: Tuning strategies?