Re: inherited, unique serial field...

От Shridhar Daithankar
Тема Re: inherited, unique serial field...
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Friday 07 February 2003 04:15 pm, you wrote:
>      id |  created   |  class
>     ----+------------+----------
>       4 | 2003-02-06 | other
>       4 | 2003-02-06 | person
>
> even tho track.id is constrained to be unique, voila! we've got
> duplicate "primary keys". is this evil enough to avoid -- or is
> it innocuous?

But they are not in same table, are  they? I mean if you select on base table,
how do you expect primary key constraint to be held against n child tables?

I dunno what standard says about this. But as long as, select from child table
on primary key  does not return duplicate row, I wouldn't worry.

This can be a really annoying issue for somebody. But I would advice him/her
to work on table design rather than proposing it as a defect in PG.

 Shridhar

От: will trillich
Сообщение: inherited, unique serial field...
От: Peter Childs
Сообщение: Alter Contraint