Re: Off topic : world database

От Rajesh Kumar Mallah
Тема Re: Off topic : world database
Дата
Список pgsql-sql

Hi,

can any one help me converting longitudes and latitudes
to something that packages like postgis can readily
accept.

calle.com provides longitude and latitude info
of almost all the places in world. fetching that data
and inserting in database is not a problem.

I am wanting to make an application similar to youwhich shud be able to  get all the places within certaint
radius of the place in  question.

Any hint on how i shud be proceeding?

Regds
mallah.

On Monday 31 Mar 2003 6:02 am, Rudi Starcevic wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> A quick email to let you know where I'm at with the 'world database'.
> Thanks to all the replies and tips.
>
> I've recieved a couple of off list tips and questions so in order to
> reach every one I'll reply via this list.
>
> So far I haven't got all the info together.
> Countries like the US and Australia are easy - there's plenty of freely
> available data.
> Getting the entire globe is another question all together.
>
> I stll have some leads to follow up however those remaining leads will
> surely required some dollars.
> So far the the best list I have come across is at
> http://www.calle.com/world.
> This site has Countries and Cities - what's needed is Countries, States
> and cities.
>
> I know other site's out there are using the info I'm after.
> One site for example is date.com
> At this site, a global dating site, no matter which county your from you
> will drill down into your
> state and then city. Once your logged in you can search for matches and
> limit by distance.
> One of the many uses for a world database.
>
> I hope to eventually report back with a url and web services for us all
> so we can use
> this info in the greatest database ever - PG.
>
> Cheers
> Kind regards
> Rudi.
>
> Rudi Starcevic wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have a slightly off SQL topic question which I don't think is too
> > inappropriate,
> > if it is please let me know and I'll not push my luck again of my
> > *favorite email list*.
> >
> > I'd like to build a Postgresql database of Countries,States and Cities
> > of the world.
> > I would like to use 'earthdistance' module so distance queries are
> > possible.
> > I plan to expose this data as an SOAP webservice via xmethods.com for
> > others to
> > access as well.
> >
> > I've been searching for a source for this data without joy so far and
> > would like to
> > ask if someone on this list could point me to or help with a source
> > for this info.
> > Ideally I'd like Country,States,and Cities with Longitude and Latitude
> > coordinates.
> >
> > Thank you kindly,
> > Again if this is too off topic let me know and I'll keep all my
> > questions strictly to SQL.
> > Regards
> > Rudi.

> > subscribe-nomail command to majordomo@postgresql.org so that your

Rajesh Kumar Mallah,
Project Manager (Development)
Infocom Network Limited, New Delhi
phone: +91(11)6152172 (221) (L) ,9811255597 (M)

Visit http://www.trade-india.com ,
India's Leading B2B eMarketplace.

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Tomasz Myrta
Сообщение: Re: How to configure two netcard for PostgreSQL?
От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: How to notice column changes in trigger