Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?

От Lamar Owen
Тема Re: Upgrading: So now you tell me!!?!?
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Friday 11 April 2003 01:30, Gary Dunn wrote:
> I'm in the same boat. The thread that followed went off into the merits of
> rpms and building from source ... always fun, but not what I need right
> now. My question is, how do I recover? I have a bunch of really nice data
> sitting in a database I can no longer access. Is there a conversion
> procedure? Do I build the previous version? How do I do that?

> I am running FreeBSD 4.6.2 and installed from the ports collection using
> portupgrade. The "problem" with portupgrade in this situation is that it
> fully automates the build and install process. Even if the "make" command
> warned about the need to dump data (and maybe it did) there was no chance
> to do anything before "make install." From now on I'll exclude postgresql
> from the portupgrade procedure.

:-O

So portupgrade does the same dance that an 'evil' RPM upgrade would...

The FreeBSD ports maintainer haunts this list (or HACKERS at least); he may be
able to help you with this.  I feel your pain (if I didn't, I'd be ROFL right
now because finally it's not just an evil RPM (or DEB) problem -- but I'm not
laughing because it is a serious issue).  It is a very serious issue, and one
that should not be addressed by packaging.  See my post in GENERAL and
HACKERS about a Red Hat Linux 9 upgrade for the full rant.

Unfortunately I forget the FreeBSD maintainer's name right now.  He should be
able to tell you how to downgrade using their system.  If all else fails, you
can get the older version's tarball and install it manually. (After removing
the new version.)  If you can, wait a few days (or directly contact the
maintainer) to se if the FreeBSD ports maintainer replies here.

If not, download the tarball from ftp.postgresql.org (not knowing what version
you had, I can't be mor specific) and install it using the standard
installation instructions.  Just don't do an initdb.
--
Lamar Owen
WGCR Internet Radio

От: "Cristina Surroca"
Сообщение: Index information and log disable...
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Killing only one postmaster