Re: 7.4 features list

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: 7.4 features list
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Patrick Macdonald wrote:
> Bruce Momjian wrote:
>
> > If it can't be done by July, then I think it isn't worth waiting for.  I
> > am working with Jan now, and he did the fork/exec part of the code, so
> > let me see what he says tomorrow and I will report back.
> >
> > Patrick, can you finish PITR by July 1?
>
> It sounds reasonable but so did May 15.  I know what has to be done,
> it's just a matter of clearing schedules to get a large block of time.
> No vacation until it's done I guess.

OK, that's the report from Patrick.

Actually, I am more concerned at releasing 7.4 without PITR than I am
releasing without WIn32, because PITR is a feature all platforms can
use, and it is more significant in moving to large installations.  We
have Cygwin as a bad workaround for Win32, but we have nothing for PITR.

Let's be frank --- how long have we had the PITR patch?  August?  How
long have _I_ had the Win32 patches?  January?  The sad truth is that
these large patches require a deadline to get our plates cleared to work
on them.  I know that was true of me, and sounds like Patrick is in the
same boat.

I am talking to Jan regularly and he might drive down from Boston to
Philadelphia to help me for a few days on the Win32 port.  I just phoned
Patrick and he says pushing the beta date to July 1 would make it more
likely he will finish, but he is not 100% sure because he has other
responsibilities at Red Hat beside PostgreSQL.

I am not sure what to recommend right now.  I would not recommend
pushing beta _past_ July 1.  I might have Win32 working for June 1, but
surely July 1, and it is possible PITR might not be ready even on July
1.

Should we wait until July 1 and be sure we have Win32, and maybe PITR?
And if we stick to June 1, will PITR remain dormant like it did after
7.3 and only become active again as we finalized 7.5?  Do we need the
pressure of a release to get some of these big features completed?

Pennsylvania19073

От: Robert Treat
Сообщение: Re: Hypothetical suggestions for planner, indexing
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: 7.4 features list