Re: Tuning for mid-size server

От Jeff
Тема Re: Tuning for mid-size server
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Tue, 21 Oct 2003 10:12:15 -0700
Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:

> So what is the ceiling on 32-bit processors for RAM? Most of the
> 64-bit vendors are pushing Athalon64 and G5 as "breaking the 4GB
> barrier", and even I can do the math on 2^32.   All these 64-bit
> vendors, then, are talking about the limit on ram *per application*
> and not per machine?

You can have > 4GB per app, but also you get a big performance boost as
you don't have to deal with all the silly paging - think of it from when
we switched from real mode to protected mode.

If you check out hte linux-kernel archives you'll see one of the things
often recommended when things go odd is to turn off HIMEM support.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

От: Andrew Sullivan
Сообщение: Re: Tuning for mid-size server
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: Tuning for mid-size server