Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: data format problem for upgrede from 7.1->7.3
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Nov 06, 2003 at 00:27:03 +0100,
  Oli Sennhauser <oli.sennhauser@bluewin.ch> wrote:

> If somebody is telling me now, I have to do this several times a year
> (how can I sell this to a customer???)... It is not a problem handling a
> micky-mouse database. dump/load 100 GB I would gess it takes me more
> than 12 h, 2 or 4 times a year makes an availability of less than 99%.
> If I have 1 TB...???

More like once a year. Only upgrades between major releases (e.g. 7.3.x
to 7.4.x) require dump and reloads.

People are looking at trying to do something about this, but it won't
happen for 7.4. Maybe by the time 7.5 is released there will be a better
way to upgrade.