Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL

От Jeff
Тема Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 07:35:55 -0500
Robert Treat <xzilla@users.sourceforge.net> wrote:

> If they want to know about postgresql, then thats fine, but the
> reality is that people will ask you why they should choose postgresql
> over mysql, and one reason you might give is that postgresql is acid
> complient.  as soon as you say that, people will bust out with "mysql
> is acid complient, you guys are just fudsters".  You need something
> like the gotchas page to be able to back that up...

The trick there is to try to do that, but still sound professional and
not come off as "NYAH NYAH! WE'RE BETTER! WOOOOOOO!".

The unfortunate thing there is PG has an unfortunate reputation of this
big slow piece of junk, so we need to have some of this comparison "nyah
nyah we're better" data.   This became clear during the presentation on
PG I did at work.  A lot of people were still thinking of PG as it was
in 6.x, which wasn't superdiduper good.  And a lot of people were
shocked when I went over 'why not mysql' section. they had _no_ idea
about some stuff (like ACID (un)compliancy).. probably because mysql
doesn't inform you.

It is a very fine line.

--
Jeff Trout <jeff@jefftrout.com>
http://www.jefftrout.com/

От: Peter Eisentraut
Сообщение: Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL
От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: FW: [webmaster] Comparison to MySQL