Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: [HACKERS] Point in Time Recovery
Дата
Список pgsql-patches
Bruce Momjian wrote:

> I do think we need a boolean for start/stop of archiving, rather than
> setting it to '' to turn it off.  Tom, I think the group agreed to this
> on clarity grounds.  I would like the server to throw an error if you
> try to turn on archiving and the command is set to ''.

Let me illustrate.  To turn off archiving you have to change:

    #archive_command = ''
    archive_command = 'cp %p /mnt/server/archivedir/%f'

    archive_command = ''
    #archive_command = 'cp %p /mnt/server/archivedir/%f'

and if you comment both or neither, you have problems.

With a boolean it would be:

    archive_mode = on
    archive_command = 'cp %p /mnt/server/archivedir/%f'

    archive_mode = off
    archive_command = 'cp %p /mnt/server/archivedir/%f'

Now, if you say people will rarely turn archiving on/off, then one
parameter seems to make more sense.