Re: Losing records when server hang

От Alvaro Herrera Munoz
Тема Re: Losing records when server hang
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Aug 08, 2004 at 08:36:36PM -0600, Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Sun, 2004-08-08 at 19:43, lec wrote:

> > If I commit the following records 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10 to the database
> > and the server hangs, I could lose records 5,6,7,8,9 but record 10 is
> > there.  How is this possible and do anyone know how Postgresql
> > physically writes the records?
>
> Assuming a properly function storage subsystem and a kernel that does
> not lie about fsync, this is not possible.

It is actually possible if he uses several backends to do the job, and
transaction inserting record 10 commits before the hang, and 5,6,7,8,9
don't.

If this is only one backend, then I'd love to see how did he do that.

"The ability to monopolize a planet is insignificant
next to the power of the source"

От: "Scott Marlowe"
Сообщение: Re: Losing records when server hang
От: Jan Wieck
Сообщение: Re: PostgreSQL 7.4.2 allows foreign key violation