Re: applications needed for client port?

От Peter Eisentraut
Тема Re: applications needed for client port?
Дата
Re: applications needed for client port?  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Список pgsql-ports
Neil Dugan wrote:
> I'm not porting any GUI (too many differences).  I was just wondering
> what shell commands might be wanted by users that only use libpq to
> connect to the server.

I would say everything that the documentation lists under Client
Applications would be good targets.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/static/reference-client.html

> No bash compatible shell, no 'sed' or 'chmod' or many others.

That was the initial impression on Windows as well, but we found mingw
and msys, which provide all that and made the porting much easier.
Perhaps something of that kind exists for your system as well?  It's
not a requirement, but it would help.

> This is the changes I think has the most chance of affecting anyone
> else.
> --------------------------------------
> in src/include/nodes/nodes.h
> #ifdef __AMIGAOS4__
> typedef struct {
>  NodeTag  type;
> } Node;
> #else
> typedef struct Node {
>  NodeTag  type;
> } Node;
> #endif
> --------------------------------------
[etc.]

But why is that necessary?  I trust that you can read compiler error
messages, but the public might like to see them so we can form a
balanced opinion.

> How often does the code for libpq change, making older revision of
> libpq not work with newer version of the database server?

The most recent libpq that no longer works with the current server was
released around 1998.  I don't think you need to worry about that.  We
keep protocol compatibility for a long time.

--
Peter Eisentraut

От: Neil Dugan
Сообщение: Re: applications needed for client port?
От: Neil Dugan
Сообщение: Re: applications needed for client port?