Re: Is there a peer-to-peer server solution with PG?

От David Fetter
Тема Re: Is there a peer-to-peer server solution with PG?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 07:03:36PM -0600, Mike Nolan wrote:
> > Slony-1 is perfectly capable of replicating to a slave database,
> > then letting you decide to promote it to master, which is just
> > what you'd need.  Why are you asking about multi-master?
>
> I am concerned that if I have to support the traffic to keep the
> slave unit in sync PLUS support general database use from the
> 'slaved' office to the master one, on the same comm line, I might
> start running into congestion issues.

Slony-1 does its level best to ship transactions in a compact way.
Any write operations are done as the net result of the write
transaction, not necessarily all the steps in between.  IOW, don't
worry too much :)

> We will have people actively working the database in both office for
> a period of several weeks to several months, depending on how the
> final transfer plan unfolds.

Sounds like a fit for Slony-1.  Just make sure that nobody tries to
write to a slave, as such writes will fail.

> Master/Slave is probably an acceptable solution, I was just
> wondering if there was a multi-master one available yet.

Not really.  If you *must* have multi-master, you probably have to get
Oracle or DB2 and pay /mucho dinero/.

Cheers,
phone: +1 510 893 6100   mobile: +1 415 235 3778

Remember to vote!

От: Clodoaldo Pinto
Сообщение: How to delete duplicate rows?
От: "Jonel Rienton"
Сообщение: Re: Applications that leak connections