Re: 3 x PostgreSQL in cluster/redunant

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: 3 x PostgreSQL in cluster/redunant
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Nov 15, 2005 at 07:38:06PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> Am 2005-11-14 16:54:41, schrieb Jim C. Nasby:
> > On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 07:36:44PM +0100, Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > > Hello *,
> > >
> > > I have three Sun Server where I have reserved on each Server a Raid-5
> > > of 1 TByte for my PostgreSQL.  The first PostgreSQL is up and running
> > > with a database of 150 GByte.
> >
> > Keep in mind that databases and RAID5 generally don't mix very well.
>
> Can you explain me why?

You'll be better off googling for "raid5 performance", but in a nutshell
write performance on raid5 is horrible. If you database is read-only
then that shouldn't be an issue, but as soon as you start writing much
at all you'll probably be unhappy with the performance.

As for hardware, what is your application? If your choice is between
SCSI raid5 and SATA raid10, you're probably better off with the SATA
raid10.

PostgreSQL doesn't have any kind of native clustering (depending on your
definition of clustering), but you might be able to roll your own
depending on your application.

I didn't know they were even making 300GB SCSI drives...

От: Jaime Casanova
Сообщение: Re: Is it databases in general, SQL or Postgresql?
От: Bob Pawley
Сообщение: Re: Is it databases in general, SQL or Postgresql?