Re: MAX, MIN and arrays

От Andreas Kretschmer
Тема Re: MAX, MIN and arrays
Дата
Список pgsql-sql
Colton A Smith <smith@cs.utk.edu> schrieb:

> Hi:
>
>    Let's say I have a table with a column of one-dimensional arrays.  What
> exactly is returned when the database is queried for a maximum from that
> particular column?  The array was the greatest average value?  Let's say

What du you expect?

test=# select * from foo;id |   bar
----+--------- 1 | {1,2,3} 2 | {2,2,2} 3 | {3,2,1}
(3 rows)

Which row is the max()?

test=# select max(bar) from foo;  max
---------{3,2,1}
(1 row)

It compares the first value in every array. If you wish to compare the
array depending on a other column, you can use somethink like

test=# select id, bar from foo order by bar ;id |   bar
(3 rows)

test=# select id, bar from foo order by bar[3] ;id |   bar
(3 rows)

> I have a table with a column of two-dimensional arrays.  What then?

The same.

HTH, Andreas
unintentional side effect. (Linus Torvalds)