Re: Hanging queries on dual CPU windows

От Jan de Visser
Тема Re: Hanging queries on dual CPU windows
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Friday 10 March 2006 13:25, Magnus Hagander wrote:

> > > In theory, yes, but it still seems a bit far fetched :-(
> >
> > Well, I rolled back SP1 and am running my test again. Looking
> > much better, hasn't locked up in 45mins now, whereas before
> > it would lock up within 5mins.
> >
> > So I think they broke something.
>
> Wow. I guess I was lucky that I didn't say it was impossible :-)
>

> But what really is happening. What other thread is actually holding the
> critical section at this point, causing us to block? The only places it
> gets held is while looping the signal queue, but it is released while
> calling the signal function itself...
>
> But they obviously *have* been messing with critical sections, so maybe
> they accidentally changed something else as well...
>
> What bothers me is that nobody else has reported this. It could be that
> this was exposed by the changes to the signal handling done for 8.1, and
> the ppl with this level of concurrency are either still on 8.0 or just
> not on SP1 for their windows boxes yet... Do you have any other software
> installed on the machine? That might possibly interfere in some way?

Just a JDK, JBoss, cygwin (running sshd), and a VNC Server. I don't think that
interferes.

> But let's have it run for a bit longer to confirm this does help.

I turned it off after 2.5hr. The longest I had to wait before, with less load,
was 1.45hr.

> If so,
> we could perhaps recode that part using a Mutex instead of a critical
> section - since it's not a performance critical path, the difference
> shouldn't be large. If I code up a patch for that, can you re-apply SP1
> and test it? Or is this a production system you can't really touch?

I can do whatever the hell I want with it, so if you could cook up a patch
that would be great.

As a BTW: I reinstalled SP1 and turned stats collection off. That also seems
to work, but is not really a solution since we want to use autovacuuming.

> //Magnus

jan

Jan de Visser                     jdevisser@digitalfairway.com

                Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!

От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: one-field index vs. multi-field index planner
От: Jan de Visser
Сообщение: Re: Hanging queries on dual CPU windows