Re: WAL logging of SELECT ... INTO command

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: WAL logging of SELECT ... INTO command
Дата
Список pgsql-performance
On Wed, Mar 22, 2006 at 01:08:34PM +0000, Simon Riggs wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-03-22 at 06:47 -0600, Jim C. Nasby wrote:
>
> > Also, why do we log rows for CTAS/SELECT INTO when PITR is in use for
> > simple SELECTs (ones that don't call non-deterministic functions)? The
> > data should alread be available AFAICS...
>
> Not sure what you're asking... SELECTs don't produce WAL.

Yes, there'd have to be some special kind of WAL entry that specifies
what select statement was used in CTAS.

> PITR wants all changes. Without PITR we can optimise certain logging
> actions.

The only change here is that we're creating a new table based on the
results of a SELECT. If that SELECT doesn't use anything that's
non-deterministic, then the machine doing the recovery should already
have all the data it needs, provided that we log the SELECT that was
used in the CTAS.

От: "Mikael Carneholm"
Сообщение: Re: Migration study, step 1: bulk write performanceoptimization
От: "Spiegelberg, Greg"
Сообщение: Intel C/C++ Compiler Tests