Re: FW: iDefense Q2 2006 Vulnerability Challenge

От Robert Treat
Тема Re: FW: iDefense Q2 2006 Vulnerability Challenge
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Sunday 21 May 2006 18:43, Tom Lane wrote:
> "Magnus Hagander" <mha@sollentuna.net> writes:
> > For those that haven't already seen it, this might give some extra
> > exposure to PostgreSQL wrt vulnerability research. Though I think nobody
> > will have a chance to find one (I just don't see how you could possibly
> > get root through postgresql, since we refuse to run as root), other
> > things might be exposed by someone who's poking around.
>
> Yeah, I think they've really done the database community a disservice by
> defining interesting exploits as being only those resulting in root.
> An exploit that lets you get database superuser privs would be the
> appropriate criterion here, IMHO.

Agreed, although with some other databases, root level exploits are certainly
a possibiliy.   OTOH maybe someone should email them and see if we can
convince them to donate $10,000 to the foundation if no root vulnerabilities
are found...   :-)

--
Robert Treat

От: Mischa Sandberg
Сообщение: Re: Porting MSSQL to PGSQL (Was: [OT] MySQL is bad, but
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: pgbench create index anomoly