Re: Why won't it index scan?

От Jim C. Nasby
Тема Re: Why won't it index scan?
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 10:29:14PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> The reason the default is currently 10 is just conservatism: it was
> already an order of magnitude better than what it replaced (a *single*
> representative value) and I didn't feel I had the evidence to justify
> higher values.  It's become clear that the default ought to be higher,
> but I've still got no good fix on a more reasonable default.  100 might
> be too much, or then again maybe not.
>
> I encourage you to play around with default_statistics_target and see
> what you can learn about quality of estimates vs. planning time.

Is the only downside to a large value planning speed? It seems it would
be hard to bloat that too much, except in cases where people are
striving for millisecond response times, and those folks had better know
enough about tuning to be able to adjust the stats target...

I'd wager that upping the target to 100 would eliminate a lot more
support emails than it creates.