Re: Help with storing spatial (map coordinates) data?

От Brent Wood
Тема Re: Help with storing spatial (map coordinates) data?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

On Mon, 12 Jun 2006, John Tregea wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have recently switched to PostgreSQL and had no problem bringing our
> existing (my)SQL databases and data into the environment. I am now
> extending the functionality of our databases and want to start storing
> spatial information.
>
> The information is made up of latitude and longitude coordinates that
> define a point or location on the earth's surface. e.g. degrees, minutes
> and seconds north/south and degrees, minutes and seconds east/west.
>
> I have read up on custom data types (with input and output functions) in
> the docs but am not sure if that is the best way to go. Can anyone point
> me to a simple, workable implementation of storing and managing this
> type of data or advise me on how to structure a series of fields that
> could combine to the required string?
>
> I am running postgreSQL 8.1.4 under WinXP Pro and currently evaluating
> an X-Talk front end called Revolution for the GUI development and have
> only some general experience with SQL.

I stongly suggest you do not use tne native Postgres geometry capability,
but install PostGIS and use this instead.

See www.postgis.org

Brent Wood

От: Fernando Sánchez Cervera
Сообщение: Error: Server doesn't listen
От: Brent Wood
Сообщение: Re: Help with storing spatial (map coordinates) data?