Re: postgres in HA constellation

От Andrew Sullivan
Тема Re: postgres in HA constellation
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Thu, Oct 05, 2006 at 04:24:17AM -0000, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:

> I just have one data center, no remote far away replication is needed.

If it is at all feasible with your budget, I'd think _very strongly_
about replicating using Slony inside your data centre _too_.  The
shared storage answer is nice, but it is _really really really_ easy
to shoot yourself in the foot with a rocket propelled grenade with
that arrangement.  Very careful administration might prevent it, but
there is a reason that none of the corporate people will guarantee
two machines will never accidentally mount the same file system at
once: in a shared-disc-only system, it's impossible to be 100%
certain that the other machine really is dead and not coming back.
Very tricky scripts could of course lower the risk.

If you're really going to have all that data, it's going to be a
major pain to restore in the event of such corruption.  In addition,
your recovery will only be to the last dump.  That's why I suggest
replicating, either with Slony or something else, as a belt that will
nicely complement the suspenders of your shared-disc failover.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@crankycanuck.ca
I remember when computers were frustrating because they *did* exactly what
you told them to.  That actually seems sort of quaint now.
        --J.D. Baldwin

От: "Benjamin Krajmalnik"
Сообщение: pg_dump/pg_restore problem
От: Brad Nicholson
Сообщение: Re: postgres in HA constellation