Re: growing disk usage problem: alternative solution?

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: growing disk usage problem: alternative solution?
Дата
Список pgsql-general

> Hello List
>
> I have been a user since 7.x version.  My current server version is 8.1.2.
>
> As many of you know the disk usage keeps growing for postgresql unless one regularly reindex and/or fully vacuum.
Theproblem with either method is that they lock the tables and it is not practical for databases that one wants to keep
itavailable for 24x7x365 basis.  For very large tables, while the tables are being reindexed, there will be many
waitingupdate/delete/insert processes and this is not at all desirable.

> Server response is still great even with growing disk usage.  Any one has other ideas to check the growth of the disk
usage.

VACUUM FULL and REINDEX are not required to maintain disk usage.  Good old-
fashoned VACUUM will do this as long as your FSM settings are high enough.

There _will_ be _some_ wasted space, but (in my experience, at least) this
will hit a plateau and level off.  Frequent VACUUM FULLs bloat your indexes
and require frequent REINDEXES, so should be avoided unless needed.

--
Bill Moran
http://www.potentialtech.com