Re: General Q's

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема Re: General Q's
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, 12 Dec 2007 09:01:59 -0800
"Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:

> Those are the two I know best. We have several extremely high
> profile customers that use Drupal & PostgreSQL with great success.

May I ask you why they choose Postgres inspite of MySQL?

Drupal core works *nearly* painlessly with postgres but contrib
modules aren't too Postgres friendly. Mainly because the Drupal
community (as many CMS communities) is mysql centric or standard
ignorant.

Whenever I can Drupal is running on Postgres, mainly because there
are applications dealing with money inside Drupal and
a mature transaction, data integrity engine helps.

Mysql feature are starting to look comparable if you skip the gotchas
in places they will really come as an unpleasant surprise once you
get used to pg coherence. The fact that mysql runs on multiple engine
may be a pro on the *long* run. But still Postgres is a safe harbour
and it will be for some time to come.

Furthermore I find developing for postgres is easier than for mysql
since I can rely on the DB, plus I've used pgsql for longer.

In many cases I scarified portability to ease of development and it
doesn't make me feel too comfort.

I'd like support for pgsql on Drupal would be stronger anyway.
It seems that the new schema api in D6 would improve things and there
are chances that D7 will offer a better DB SPI too.
It would be nice if Postgres people will stop by drupal dev mailing
lists to help.

BTW anyone know a DB translator pgsql<->mysql just to learn from it?
What about interesting DB abstraction layers that works with postgres
and at least 2 more other DB?

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

От: "D. Dante Lorenso"
Сообщение: Re: Function to convert from TEXT to BYTEA?
От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: Slow PITR restore