Re: Sun acquires MySQL

От Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
Тема Re: Sun acquires MySQL
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Mon, 21 Jan 2008 08:01:49 -0600
Russ Brown <pickscrape@gmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps it would be useful to have a page in the documentation that
> provides a brief comparison between the available pl languages
> (including plpgsql and sql) and gives suggestions on the best one
> (or ones) for given use cases?

It'd be very appreciated.
I tried to read this:
http://www.pgsql.cz/index.php/PL/pgSQL_(en)#When_is_PL.2FpgSQL_not_applicable
But I'm not sure I really grasped it.

Some comparison/examples more may help.

BTW today pg 8.3-rc2 reached Debian sid amd64 and I took a chance to
see what was available... and there is support for a *lot* of
languages now.

I started to develop a lot of functions code thinking that pgsql was
the nearest thing to the metal after plain sql and after these post I
was wondering if python (or ruby??) would have made a better choice.

My main concern when I chose the function route was limiting the
number of connections and hiding the underlying structure of the DB
to the client application.

--
Ivan Sergio Borgonovo
http://www.webthatworks.it

От: Erik Jones
Сообщение: Re: WARNINGs after starting backup server created with PITR
От: Christian Schröder
Сообщение: Re: Views and permissions