Re: Recommended RAID for Postgres

От Tino Schwarze
Тема Re: Recommended RAID for Postgres
Дата
Список pgsql-admin
On Mon, Jun 30, 2008 at 03:15:34PM +0200, Thomas Bräutigam wrote:

> Why avoid RAID5? I though that would be good? Can you explain this?

RAID5 has a lot of disadvantages, especially in terms of performance.
.oO(There was a link posted recently...)

> Writing in the DB, I add about 5-10 GB of data a day. There is a lot of writing activity going on in the database
everyday.
> What do you recommend how often I should backup the complete database?

What storage subsystem do you use? This sounds like you want something
like snapshots or similar to do backup. How long do you expect a 1-1.5
TB backup to run? I don't know. My biggest DBs are like 110 GB
(compressed dump), 300-400 GB on disk and they are difficult to handle
already.

Maybe other Postgres admins have more experience with such big DBs.

Tino.

www.craniosacralzentrum.de
www.forteego.de

От: "Domingo Alvarez Duarte"
Сообщение: Re: Extended security/restriction to any role with login access
От: "Domingo Alvarez Duarte"
Сообщение: Re: Extended security/restriction to any role with login access