Re: Using PK value as a String

От Bill Moran
Тема Re: Using PK value as a String
Дата
Re: Using PK value as a String  (Steve Atkins <steve@blighty.com>)
Список pgsql-performance

> Am 12.08.2008 um 17:04 schrieb Bill Moran:

> >> We chose UUID as PK because there is still some information in an
> >> integer key.
> >> You can see if a user has registered before someone else (user1.id <
> >> user2.id)
> >> or you can see how many new users registered in a specific period of
> >> time
> >> (compare the id of the newest user to the id a week ago). This is
> >> information
> >> which is in some cases critical.
> >
> > So you're accidentally storing critical information in magic values
> > instead of storing it explicitly?
> >
> > Good luck with that.
>
> How do I store critical information? I was just saying that it easy
> to get some information out of a primary key which is an incrementing
> integer. And it makes sense, in some rare cases, to have a PK which
> is some kind of random like UUIDs where you cannot guess the next value.

I just repeated your words.  Read above "this is information which is in
some cases critical."

If I misunderstood, then I misunderstood.

--
Bill Moran
Collaborative Fusion Inc.

wmoran@collaborativefusion.com
Phone: 412-422-3463x4023

От: dforums
Сообщение: Re: Distant mirroring
От: Moritz Onken
Сообщение: Re: Using PK value as a String