Re: keep alive losing connections

От johnf
Тема Re: keep alive losing connections
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Thursday 11 September 2008 09:13:14 am Scott Marlowe wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 11, 2008 at 10:07 AM, johnf <jfabiani@yolo.com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have read several of the posting on the list and I'm guessing I have a
> > router issue because I get disconnected from the database after some idle
> > time.  I'm connecting remotely to a postgres 8.3.1 on openSUSE 11.  My
> > question is how can I determine what the real cause of dropping the
> > connection.  Is it my router or the firewall on the remote server, or
> > something else?
>
> Hard to say really without running some kind of network analyzer like
> wireshark (I think that's the new name) on both ends and watching for
> RST packets.
>
> But, you can usually overcome this problem by setting a lower
> tcp_keepalivetime, something like 900 (15 minutes) or 300 (5 minutes)
> will usually do the trick, and has the added bonus of harvesting
> connections left behind by processes that didn't properly disconnect
> (crashed, lost network connection) more often than once every 2 hours.

In my case the program is doing a long file transfer (nothing to do with the
database) and when it returns I discover the connection has been closed.  So
I was really hoping to find an easy way of testing where the problem is
happening.  Like I said I think it has something to do with the router
(wireless).  But it is hard to tell what the cause is from the information
provided by the list.  Of course I understand the list is about popstgres and
not routers.  But the problem is a related subject I think.  Spounds like I'm
stuck without a solution for the moment.  Thanks for the help.

--
John Fabiani

От: "Scott Marlowe"
Сообщение: Re: "Healing" a table after massive updates
От: Marcus Engene
Сообщение: index on id and created_at