Re: problems with win32 enterprisedb 8.3.6 ssl=on

От raf
Тема Re: problems with win32 enterprisedb 8.3.6 ssl=on
Дата
Список pgsql-general
Dave Page wrote:

> On Mon, Feb 23, 2009 at 7:55 AM, raf <raf@raf.org> wrote:
> > hi,
> >
> > i've been getting nonsensical error messages all day with
> > postgres 8.3 on winxpsp3. i tried upgrading to 8.3.6
> > (enterprisedb) and fresh installs.
>
> Please clarify what you have done. You cannot upgrade from PostgreSQL
> to EnterpriseDB (Postgres Plus Advanced Server) without a dump/reload
> of your data as they are different DBMSs with differences in the data
> format.

the version that i originally had was an older 8.3
enterprisedb. the first upgrade i attempted wasn't
to enterprisedb but only to enterprisedb's postgresql
installer. that was a mistake on my part. that resulted
in an incompatibility error regarding 64 bit timestamps.
so i threw the data away (it's only test data anyway)
and did a fresh install of enterprisedb after that.

> If you mean that you tried to update an installation of the community
> installer with the one-click installer *packaged* by EnterpriseDB,
> then that is also not supported as the one-click installer uses
> integer datetimes which the community one does not (an error on my
> part that's somewhat difficult to correct now). That would not account
> for the errors you are seeing though.

that's why i didn't mention it.

> If you have switched installer, I would first start by uninstalling
> entirely. None of the uninstallers should remove the data directory,
> but take a backup first to be sure anyway. Then, install the latest
> build of whichever package you originally installed, reusing the
> existing data directory. If continue to see the errors you noted when
> you've done this, make sure the data directory is owned by the user
> the server runs as, or at least has full control of it and it's
> contents.

that's what i mean by a fresh install (i.e. complete
uninstall and i even deleted the data directory so that
it's permissions could be recreated from scratch by
the installer).

as i said in my previous message, the postgres user had what
looked like sufficient permissions anyway but i gave it full
control over the files mentioned in the error messages and
the directories that contain them.

so, i had already done everything you suggested.
any other suggestions?

when this error was mentioned on the list two years ago,
it was said that there are many error conditions that
get translated into the same "Permission denied" error
message. does anyone know what these error conditions
might be?

btw, the server.* files for ssl are all readable by "Everyone".
hopefully, that includes the postgres user.

> --
> Dave Page
> EnterpriseDB UK:   http://www.enterprisedb.com

cheers,
raf

От: Jessi Berkelhammer
Сообщение: surprising results with random()
От: Steve Atkins
Сообщение: Re: surprising results with random()