Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib

От Bruce Momjian
Тема Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Andrew Dunstan wrote:

> Bruce Momjian wrote:
> >> At the very least, a mention in the documentation of incompatible
> >> contrib module(s) would be nice.  Even better would be a sanity check
> >> added to prevent this.
> >>

> > OK, I am looking to the hackers group for recommentations on this.  I
> > wonder if I should recommend uninstalling /contrib modules before the
> > upgrade, but that is not possible for custom data types that have
> > columns already defined in the old cluster.
> >

> There is no nice answer to this. It goes way beyond data types: you
> could be using the module stuff in indexes, functions, views etc. You
> can't just drop the stuff. The best I have been able to do in similar
> cases is to install the updated module in the database before restoring,
> and ignore any restoration errors about "foo already exists" or "foo not
> found in .so file". Not sure how well that translates to pg_migrator,
> though.

I suspected this answer but figured I would get a definative answer
rather than guessing.

Based on the way pg_migrator works I am going to suggest that if
/contrib restore generates an error that they uninstall the /contrib
from the old cluster and retry.

http://enterprisedb.com

От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib
От: Bruce Momjian
Сообщение: Re: pg_migrator issue with contrib