Re: Endgame for all those SELECT FOR UPDATE changes: fix plan node order

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: Endgame for all those SELECT FOR UPDATE changes: fix plan node order
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
Tom Lane escribió:

> > This seems like it could potentially introduce a performance
> > regression, but the current behavior is so bizarre that it seems like
> > we should still change it.
>
> Yeah, it could definitely run slower than the existing code --- in
> particular the combination of all three (FOR UPDATE ORDER BY LIMIT)
> would tend to become a seqscan-and-sort rather than possibly just
> reading one end of an index.  However, I quote the old aphorism that
> it can be made indefinitely fast if it doesn't have to give the right
> answer.  The reason the current behavior is fast is it's giving the
> wrong answer :-(

So this probably merits a warning in the release notes for people to
check that their queries continue to run with the performance they
expect.

От: Sergey Konoplev
Сообщение: 8.4.1 strange GiST (btree_gist?) messages + index row size error (possible BUG, test case + test data)
От: Simon Riggs
Сообщение: Re: License clarification: BSD vs MIT