Re: Postgres Clustering Options

От David Kerr
Тема Re: Postgres Clustering Options
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 11, 2009 at 09:35:35AM -0800, Ben Chobot wrote:
- What are you trying to protect against? Software failure? Hardware
- failure? Both?
-
- Depending on your budget, you could theoretically point any number of
- failover nodes at a san, so long as you make sure only one of them is
- running postgres at a time. Of course, you still have the single point
- of failure in the SAN. If you aren't made of money and are running
- linux, we've found DRBD is a great way to cluster two machines and it
- avoids a few single points of failure. But you limit yourself to two or
- three cluster nodes.

Protecting against both hardware and software failure.

SAN failure would be handled by the offsite node, but we've got a pretty robust
SAN, (I don't have all of the details) so it may even not have a single point
of failure.

We tried out DRBD and the performance impact was pretty sigificant. our
app is very sensitive to any performance hitch so I just can't see any
form of replication working for us.

Dave

От: David Kerr
Сообщение: Re: Postgres Clustering Options
От: Greg Smith
Сообщение: Re: Postgres Clustering Options