understanding select into

От John
Тема understanding select into
Дата
Re: understanding select into  (Pavel Stehule <pavel.stehule@gmail.com>)
Список pgsql-sql
Hi,
I am reviewing a function written by some xTuple guys.  What is interesting
about it is it uses the "INTO" statement like

select something into _p from sometable where somecriteria.

The function contiunes and uses the data retreived
_p.somefield_name

And then the function ends.

Ok my question:

I also thought the select "into" created a real table.  But after running the
function the table does not exist.  I see no where that a 'drop' is issued.
In fact the function uses lot's of select into's like (_test, _r, etc..).  So
would some kind soul explain what is happening.

Could it be that "_p" is drop automaticly when the function ends?  Something
to do with scope.

Could it have something to do with the fact the function returns only an
integer?  And that causes the table to be drop.

As you can see I'm lost here!

Johnf

В списке pgsql-sql по дате отправления:

От: Harald Fuchs
Сообщение: Re: Cascading sum in tree with CTE?
От: "Plugge, Joe R."
Сообщение: Re: understanding select into