Re: Verify Option with pg_dump

От Karsten Hilbert
Тема Re: Verify Option with pg_dump
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Wed, Nov 30, 2016 at 01:11:58PM +0000, Howard News wrote:

> > You can try to suitably combine "pg_dump --format=plain" with
> > "tee" and "md5sum" such that the output stream is diverted to
> > both a file and a pipe-into-CRC-algorithm and eventually
> > compare the pipe's sum with the sum generated from the file.
> >
> > But the better solution might be to stream to a filesystem
> > that verifies disk writes immediately. Or to a suitable RAID
> > array.
> Thanks for this info Karsten. I will look into using "tee". As a matter of
> interest, why does the format need to be plain?

Actually, any of the formats producing a _single_ file right
away are likely to work. So, any but "directory", I guess.

> Regarding the filesystem solution, the dump is currently written to a HP
> RAID 10 array with an NTFS partition. What filesystems / raid arrays have
> this ability?

If you can't trust your RAID 10 (1 meaning mirrored) to
actually store what you told it to you've got problems beyond
somehow verifying a pg_dump.

Regards,
Karsten
E167 67FD A291 2BEA 73BD  4537 78B9 A9F9 E407 1346