Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox

От Bruno Wolff III
Тема Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 13:16:16 +0000,
  Martin Mueller <martinmueller@northwestern.edu> wrote:
>Why not a PostgreSQL-database somewhere in the cloud? Good question, but it's a question of money and performance. I
usedMySQL for many years and then moved a dataset to an instance on AWS. The performance was horribly slow. Then some
kindsoul at my institution hooked me up with "Aurora," which I take to be MySQL on steroids. That was great, and the
performancewas almost as good as on my desktopc. But it cost hundreds of dollars per month. I work at home with a
machinethat has 32 GB of memory. In order to get comparable performance from a cloud-based Postgres instance, I'd have
tospend a lot of money that I don't have. Dropbox costs $120 a year for a terabyte of storage, which is very
affordable.

You aren't going to be able to use copies of the raw files taken while the
database is running, to restore the database. Storing compressed output
from pg_dumpall is probably the best way to create backups you can restore
from.

От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox
От: Martin Mueller
Сообщение: Re: [GENERAL] storing postgres data on dropbox