Re: [HACKERS] [POC] hash partitioning

От David Fetter
Тема Re: [HACKERS] [POC] hash partitioning
Дата
Список pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 07:43:29AM -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 11, 2017 at 4:17 AM, Ashutosh Bapat
> <ashutosh.bapat@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
> >> Rebased 0002 against this commit & renamed to 0001, PFA.
> >
> > Given that we have default partition support now, I am wondering
> > whether hash partitioned tables also should have default
> > partitions.  The way we have structured hash partitioning syntax,
> > there can be "holes" in partitions. Default partition would help
> > plug those holes.
>
> Yeah, I was thinking about that, too.  On the one hand, it seems
> like it's solving the problem the wrong way: if you've set up hash
> partitioning properly, you shouldn't have any holes.

Should we be pointing the gun away from people's feet by making hash
partitions that cover the space automagically when the partitioning
scheme[1] is specified?  In other words, do we have a good reason to have
only some of the hash partitions so defined by default?

Best,
David.

[1] For now, that's just the modulus, but the PoC included specifying
hashing functions, so I assume other ways to specify the partitioning
scheme could eventually be proposed.

Remember to vote!

От: Jesper Pedersen
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] [POC] hash partitioning
От: Robert Haas
Сообщение: Re: [HACKERS] [POC] hash partitioning