Re: ALTER TABLE .. SET STATISTICS

От Alvaro Herrera
Тема Re: ALTER TABLE .. SET STATISTICS
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On 2018-Aug-05, Ron wrote:

> For columns of type bytea which store image data (PDFs, JPGs, etc) would it
> speed up the ANALYZE process to SET STATISTICS = 0?

Yes.  I'd suggest also looking at ALTER TABLE ... SET STORAGE to avoid
having Postgres try to compress those columns, which is useless waste of
CPU cycles, since those formats already compress.

> That way, default_statistics_target could be cranked higher -- giving better
> statistics for needed columns -- without polluting pg_statistics with
> unneeded data?

Right.

With the default being 100 I don't think there's a real need to crank it
higher server-wide, but it may be useful to crank it higher for specific
columns.

От: Andres Freund
Сообщение: Re: Walsender waiting on SnapbuildSync
От: Tom Lane
Сообщение: Re: ALTER TABLE .. SET STATISTICS