Re: A question about sequences and backup/restore cycles

От stan
Тема Re: A question about sequences and backup/restore cycles
Дата
Список pgsql-general
On Tue, Oct 22, 2019 at 12:48:41PM -0700, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> On 10/22/19 10:48 AM, stan wrote:
> Please reply to list also:
> Ccing list.
>

> > Sorry if my description was not clear.
> >
> > No, we  do not mix test, and production data. Let me try to clarify the
> > question. Looking at a pg_dump, I see the following:
> >

> > CREATE SEQUENCE public.customer_key_serial
> >      START WITH 1
> >     INCREMENT BY 1
> >     NO MINVALUE
> >     NO MAXVALUE
> >     CACHE 1;
> >

> > Yet, in the same pg_dump file I have:
> >

> > COPY public.customer (customer_key, cust_no, name, c_type, location,
> > bill_address_1, bill_address_2, bill_city, bill_state, bill_zip,
> > bill_country, bill_attention, bill_addressee, ship_address_1,
> > ship_address_2, ship_addressee, ship_attention, ship_city, ship_state,
> > ship_zip, office_phone_area_code, office_phone_exchange,
> > office_phone_number, office_phone_extension, cell_phone_area_code,
> > cell_phone_exchange, cell_phone_number, ship_phone_area_code,
> > ship_phone_exchange, ship_phone_number, ship_phone_extension,
> > fax_phone_area_code, fax_phone_exchange, fax_phone_number, status, modtime)
> > FROM stdin;
> > 1       12      Made Up Inc.    INDUSTRIAL_CONVEYOR     \N      101 Nowhere
> > Ave.        \N      LaGrange        GA      00000   \N      \N      \N
> > \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      00000   \N      \N      \N
> >     \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N
> >     \N      \N      ACTIVE  2019-09-30 23:55:04.594203+00
> >     2       5       Jimmys Favorite Customer.       PLASTICS        \N
> >     56 Somewhere St.        \N      No Such City    SC      00000   \N
> >     \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      00000
> >     \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      \N
> >     \N      \N      \N      \N      \N      ACTIVE  2019-09-30
> >     23:55:04.636827+00
> >
> > So it appears to me the customer table is going to get (correctly) populated
> > with the originally generated keys, yet the sequence will want to return a 1
> > the next time it is called, when a new customer gets inserted.
> >
> > Am I missing something here?
> >

> Yes something like this, in dump file, for non-serial sequence:
>
> CREATE SEQUENCE public.plant1_p_item_no_seq
>     START WITH 1
>     INCREMENT BY 1
>     NO MINVALUE
>     NO MAXVALUE
>     CACHE 1;
>
> SELECT pg_catalog.setval('public.plant1_p_item_no_seq', 5509, true);
>
> or for serial sequence:
>
> CREATE SEQUENCE public.avail_headers_line_id_seq
>     AS integer
>     START WITH 1
>     INCREMENT BY 1
>     NO MINVALUE
>     NO MAXVALUE
>     CACHE 1;
>
> ALTER TABLE ONLY public.avail_headers ALTER COLUMN line_id SET DEFAULT
> nextval('public.avail_headers_line_id_seq'::regclass);

> [...]

Oh, excellent.!!

Thanks for the patience to teach me about this.

Does make me wonder what the vendor did to create our issue on their
database.

neither liberty nor safety."
                        -- Benjamin Franklin

От: Ron
Сообщение: Re: Primary key definition?
От: Adrian Klaver
Сообщение: Re: A question about sequences and backup/restore cycles